Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Nikhil, India. India, Nikhil. Get comfortable.


Cannot believe it's been only 9 days.

Landed in Delhi on AUGUST 15TH of all days. Remarkably UNeventful. Delhi airport is ridiculously amazing! Delhi itself is one giant construction dirt pile.

First week: whirlwind of orientation, getting ripped off, speaking horrible Hindi, successfully registering at the FRRO (my heart goes out to all Fulbrighters who are still struggling with this. stick with it guys.), meeting with my advisor / hanging out with some very cool NGO people, and dealing with massive phone/internet/connectivity withdrawal. My Nexus One reduces to a brick here.

One highlight- convincing the guy at Jantar Mantar that I'm Indian: "Aarey bhaiya! Hum bhi Mumbai se hai!" No idea if that's right, but it did the trick: I paid the Rs.5 fare instead of Rs.100!

Landed in Pune on Sunday with Marathi all around me. Sweet! We've got an awesome 3BR apartment in Viman Nagar. Marathi classes hopefully start tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment